Male enhancement supplements can look alluring. However, most aren’t supported by science, and many contain dangerous ingredients that could affect your health and well-being. As a result, there aren’t any male enhancement supplements approved by the FDA on the market, at least for now.
Keep in mind that, as herbal supplements, male enhancement supplements aren’t regulated in the same way as over-the-counter or prescription drugs. This means that they don’t need to go through the FDA’s strict approval process, which involves numerous phases of clinical trials. Unlike FDA-approved medications for ED such as Viagra, Levitra, Staxyn, and Stendra, male enhancement supplements haven’t been thoroughly studied or tested.
The FDA has issued a warning about nearly 50 male enhancement and weight loss products available to purchase through online marketplaces that contain hidden ingredients. 80% of these products contained undeclared active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Male Enhancement Drugs Approved by FDA
There are male enhancement drugs that have FDA approval for treating sexual health issues like erectile dysfunction. These drugs make it simpler for you to get and keep an erection by increasing blood flow to your penis.
1. Sildenafil (Viagra)
Viagra is most effective when taken on an empty stomach one hour before sex. It’s effective for four to five hours or more if you have mild to moderate erectile dysfunction.
2. Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
This medication can be taken with or without food and is most effective when taken an hour before sex. It might not absorb as quickly if you eat a meal that is high in fat.
If you have mild to moderate erectile dysfunction, vadenafil will work for at least four to five hours. A newer form of this drug that dissolves on the tongue might function more quickly than the pill you swallow.
3. Tadalafil (Cialis)
Cialis is taken one to two hours before sex, with or without food.It works for up to 36 hours. It can be taken either in a small daily dose or a larger dose as required.
4. Avanafil (Stendra)
Stendra is a newer medication for erectile dysfunction. Stendra is taken with or without food 30 minutes before sex, depending on the dose. It could last for six hours.
Which Male Enhancement Drug Should I Choose?
All male enhancement drugs are equally effective, which is why the American College of Physicians advises basing your decision on your preferences and taking into account factors like cost, ease of use, how long the effects of the drug last, and side effects. Sildenafil, vardenafil, and tadalafil are all available in generic form.
When might male enhancement drugs not be safe?
Get your doctor’s approval before taking any erectile dysfunction medication. Erectile dysfunction drugs might not work or might be dangerous if any of the following apply to you:
- Take nitrate drugs — commonly prescribed for chest pain (angina) — such as nitroglycerin (Nitro-Dur, Nitrostat, others), isosorbide mononitrate (Monoket) and isosorbide dinitrate
- Have very low blood pressure (hypotension) or uncontrolled high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Have severe liver disease
- Have kidney disease that requires dialysis
Male Enhancement Drugs Side Effects
The majority of men who take erectile dysfunction drugs don’t have any issues with side effects, but when side effects do materialize, they may include the following:
- Visual changes, such as blue tinge to vision, sensitivity to light or blurred vision
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Back pain
Rarely, more-serious side effects can occur, including:
- hearing loss or vision loss: Some men have had sudden hearing or vision loss after taking one of these medications. However, it isn’t clear whether vision or hearing loss was directly caused by taking the medication or by a preexisting condition. If you’re taking a medication for erectile dysfunction and have sudden loss of hearing or vision, seek prompt medical attention.
- an erection that doesn’t go away on its own: Called priapism, this rare condition can be painful and requires medical treatment to avoid damaging your penis. If you have an erection that lasts more than four hours, seek immediate medical attention.